If your child is enrolled at a participating Ronald McDonald Care Mobile school, you may download the new patient packet that must be completed and returned to your child's classroom here.
Interested in Volunteering?
As a Ronald McDonald Care Mobile volunteer you
can assist the dental team by walking students to and from the Care
Mobile and their classrooms while providing the students encouragement
while they wait for dental services.
commitment is dependent on volunteers schedule. Two hours a week is encouraged.
The schools that are visited by the Care Mobile generally operate between the
hours of 8:30am and 2:30PM
shadowing experience and a background check are required.
For more information on becoming a Care Mobile
volunteer call Don Emery at 518/438-2655 or drop him an email at email@example.com
In June of 2006, Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region, Inc. (RMHC) launched a Ronald McDonald House Care Mobile in partnership with St. Peter’s Health Care Services (SPHCS). The Care Mobile addresses the restorative dental needs of children in the Capital District, beginning with children within the City of Albany.
A 2005 study of kindergarteners and second graders in the City of Albany was conducted to identify oral health needs. In the first two months of the project, over 600 children in Albany schools were screened. The results showed that 44% had dental caries and on average, each child had 4.9 caries. Further, dental problems have been identified as the second leading cause of absenteeism in Capital District schools.
Research shows that the following barriers are existent within our community and result in children not receiving vital dental care:
- While federally qualified health centers, local hospitals and public health departments offer some dental services, wait times are excessive
- There are only a handful of private dentists who accept Medicaid and Child Health Plus in the Community
- The logistics and / or cost of travel to and from point of care locations
- Parents not having the ability to take time away from work to attend appointments
The Ronald McDonald Care Mobile serves as an immediate solution to these barriers.
Description of Services provided:
The services provided include, but are not be limited to:
- Initial exam and radiograph services provided by both hygienist and dentist
- Prophylaxis and fluoride services
- Sealants on all eligible permanent molars
- Restorative and/or urgent dental care to include fillings, extractions, endodontics, and prosthodontics
Goals and Objectives of the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile
- Provide instant access to full dental care and treatment for low income areas throughout the Capital District
- Provide high quality pediatric dentistry, as well as serve as a community resource for enrollment of uninsured and underinsured children
- Be the source of primary dental care for the children unable to access care elsewhere due to transportation, socio-economic barriers, and / or inability of parental involvement in dental care
- Increase awareness of preventative dental health and access to services
- Expand the number of oral health screenings, sealants and dental caries interventions on an annual basis
- Increase Medicaid, CHP, FHP enrollment of uninsured children and their families
- Decrease absenteeism in local schools
- Provide educational programs in all grades, school assemblies and PTA meetings in targeted schools and in selected community organizations
- Expand this most needed service throughout and beyond the Capital District